Why does Acrobat 5 insert pages backwards? A bug?
o***@gmail.com
2014-02-21 17:36:15 UTC
Currently this is not working for me. They're IN ORDER ALREADY. There's no dragging files "properly", you either drag the files or you don't.

It's pathetic that there is no sorting function, I expect better of Adobe. You'd think I was using a Corel product.
o***@gmail.com
2014-02-21 17:44:51 UTC
Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? You don't need any "external scripts" or new "standard function" to append PDFs in a desired order. All you need to do is sort them appropriately in a Windows Explorer window in "details" or "list" view, and then drag-and-drop them onto an open PDF in Acrobat. This is not complicated, and you have yet to explain what need you have that is not perfectly met by this procedure.
Just to repeat: *DON'T* use the Acrobat "Insert Pages" dialog box to sort the PDFs or to insert them into an open PDF. *DO* use the sorting capacities of Windows Explorer in "list" or "details" view to arrange your PDFs in the desired order, select them all, and then drag-and-drop them onto an open PDF. They *WILL* insert in the *EXACT* order that they appeared in the Windows Explorer window.
Capisce?
--Mike Nitabach
Does NOT work as described.
p***@yahoo.com
2016-02-12 22:09:15 UTC
When doing the insert in the file selection box just click the name header and it will reverse the order. Then it works as expected - I do think that Adobe should work in the opposite way since it is backwards.
I have 300 separate PDF files (from a scanned document) named 001.pdf, 002.pdf, 003.pdf, etc. saved in a folder and named such so they can be inserted in ascending order into a new larger pdf. I run the document>insert pages command to merge them all into one pdf file, and after the insert, Acrobat inserts the pages in descending order instead, with the last page in the original document inserted as page one in the new pdf file, and the first page in the document inserted as page 300. Why does Acrobat do this?
Does this mean that every time I insert multiple pages into a document when creating an e-book, I have to name the pdf's backwards so that Acrobat can sort them backwards and then they will be in the correct order?
I have tried the 001, 002 003 naming scheme and also 1.pdf, 2.pdf, 3.pdf .... 10.pdf 11.pdf, also a.pdf, b.pdf, c.pdf .... aa.pdf, ab.pdf etc all with the same results.
It's very frustrating that Acrobat not only inserts pages backwards, but also does not have any sort command to re sort pages that were inserted out of order. Is this a bug? Its a waste of time going through 300 pages and individually dragging and dropping them into the right place. That literally takes hours for a several hundred page book - I know, I've done it a couple of times and it's not very enjoyable.
If I have to name the files backwards that's also time consuming, because it makes things even more confusing; I go by the printed page numbers in documents to name the pdf file names after a scan when importing scanned material. If I'm on page 27, I have to think, gee, that's page 266, etc. Mind numbing.
M B
M B
2021-08-26 12:18:54 UTC
Bizzare... 2021, still the same issue.